Best job for surfers?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by glidewaves, Nov 4, 2018.

1. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    I worked in aerospace for 30 years. Went in early, so no dawn patrol during the week, but getting off early enough to get out after work during daylight saving.

Another part of this whole thing are kids. I have been so blessed to have had the opportunity to surf with our twin boys for a number of years. Doing evening glass-offs with them after school more than made up for no mid-week morning surf.

John

2. deemce

deemce Active Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    Healthcare Technical Management makes DP doable (sometimes). Hit a great run earlier this summer where it seemed when there were waves I was able to schedule "a Board Meeting" first thing in the morning. In at dawn and out at 10:00am ......magical

Chilly Willy likes this.
  3. Makawaosurfer93

Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    Sage advice right there...

4. Patrick Riley

Patrick Riley Member

May 15, 2018
    Jacksonville Beach
    Some of my other buddies on the fire department have started working part time for Delta just for the perks. They sling bags 4 shifts a month and fly standby. It's just not feasible with my kids right now, and it works out better for me to work a couple shifts of overtime instead. BUT, I'm seriously thinking about it as a retirement option...

WhiteRussian, pefa and hankster like this.
  5. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    colleges/universities have the most liberal benefits for a straight job, and are great places to work...raised my kids working in a medical school in SF...started as their Chief Engineer, left 18 years later as their VP for Operations...in early, usually off by 3 or so, 10 mins from OB, 5 weeks of PTO and holidays at start of employment, 11 weeks by year 10...200 surf days a year common during that time...only left because the kids were all in college with tuition banked, and we decided to take an extended life break and go have some fun...

6. dorado

dorado Member

Jul 1, 2007
  7. thomas

thomas Member

Nov 22, 2016
    San Diego
    Consulting Arborist allows me to make my own hours...but I have done sales and I surfed and golfed a lot...

8. FlanAl

FlanAl Member

Jun 16, 2014
    Honestly, I think the key is beach and sunlight access more than anything. I'm a lawyer which isn't exactly the most conducive for surfing but I used to live a 5 minute walk from a point break in New England. Unless I was getting absolutely crushed by work I could surf almost everyday in the summer. Winter was harder just because the overlap of daylight and non-work sucked. There's no way I would have gotten to surf as much if I couldn't get to the beach as quickly though.

My dad was a lifeguard in San Diego for 25 years before he got an office job. His stories make it sound like it's probably the best surf job possible. (He still surfs pretty often at 70 and with the 9-5 office gig though)

shadydave likes this.
  9. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    Ah that left point :cool:. Where are you located these days?

10. FlanAl

FlanAl Member

Jun 16, 2014
    Haha, I certainly loved that wave. I'm down in New York City now. Hour and 15 on the subway each way to the beach. I get through a lot of audiobooks but am unfortunately full weekend warrior status these days :(