Best job for surfers?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by glidewaves, Nov 4, 2018.

1. applekat

applekat Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    I have a job offering for those interested in relocating to SW Florida.

...5min from the water.

Position: "Ceiling-Mounted Board Duster/Perprtual Cleaner".

In the industry, this field is commonly referred to as "The Shiny Man".

Most sticks in the 9'+ range.

Free room & board--and meals when the wind catches me right.

Must know his or her way around a 10' ladder.

Must be proficient (durable forearm strength) with catnip squeaky toys, dangling yarn on a stick & forcibly laughing at my poorly timed jokes.

$8/HR.

Cash.

Cat allergies will immediately dismiss you from consideration.

...pm me.

image.gif

Tenfooter, Lackosense and Dawnpatrol like this.
  2. DanSan

DanSan Active Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Medical..surgical sales rep..7-4
    For hospitals..surgery centers..ORs
    I did that for 10 yrs..best decade
    Ever...no kids yet..wifey worked in the OR..RN...3a-11p..
    Sge would sleep in in the weekend..so i surf at dawn..then we would do stuff together..
    And
    I could surf every day around surgical cases..office visits..
    Omg....what was i thinking..kids?
    Now professor m-th...
    So friday- sunday..my surfy surf days

3. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    I'll go with this too. I was a cop. I remember the different shift experiments...4 tens were my favorite. Three days off and you were bound to get some surf. On the other hand, anyone that says they like rotating shifts is either clinically insane or a liar.

applekat likes this.
  4. Tlri

Tlri Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Rhode island
    15 years of medical device sales. Down side is you work on other people’s schedule but upside is with my products the surgery is 95% elective, meaning it’s almost always booked well in advance. Once schedule is set I know when I can fit in water time.

Tomorrow surf 6-7 then case from 730-10. back in the water 1030-12 and afternoon cases start at 1.
    If there’s waves I can find time for surf at least 3 out of 5 weekdays.

Also got a few of my surgeons customers into surfing so they book their cases to start at 8/830 so we have time to meet and surf before surgery.
    Dont like being too connected but the Apple Watch has freed me up to surf when I’m on call and not be tied to a phone on the beach. If an important work call comes I know I can swim in and deal with it instead of coming in every 30 minutes to check my phone.

5. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I work in IT. I started my career as a programmer in NYC with great money and no free time or energy. I now work for a local school district. I make half of what I would be making had I stayed in the city, but eh, there's more to life than money (not just talking about surfing, but that's part of it). The cool thing is that my office is 15 minutes from the beach. Not only can I swing dawn patrols, but I even zoomed over for a half hour session on my lunch break once. We get a good amount of time off (I'm a 12 month employee, so no summers off). There have been some occasional last minute heartbreaks where I've had to stay late to manage tech emergencies when the waves are good, but it has been very good for me as far as surfing goes.

PeakMaster likes this.
  6. Poseidon

Poseidon New Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Moro Bay
    CIO for a large NGO and travel the world helping others through technology. Next stop Tanzania and Namibia.

Currently in Ireland working and waiting for the day to end to go surf.

deemce likes this.
  7. poidog

poidog Active Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Work in a cubicle in DC with a photo above my computer of an empty A frame beginning to throw. Commute is a mile walk to and from my house in MD to metro, a cattle-car with frequent break-downs while I watch Breaking Bad on my phone. Grateful every day for the job (if you knew me in the 70s you'd see why) but it's a slog for sure, at 60 need to keep slogging another five years at least, what keeps me sane aside from my wife and kids are surf reports showing waist and clean, light offshores, like... tomorrow.

Thor and PeakMaster like this.
  8. sightpoint

sightpoint Active Member

Jan 28, 2014
    2' and onshore
    Elementary school science teacher. During daylight savings time I can squeeze in an after work surf, but most of the year I'm stuck with weekends/days off. But summer vacation is pretty great.

On another note... all you fisheries biologists, I might want to get in touch. I'll pm ya.

9. Mango Bill

Mango Bill Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2006
    USA California
    Aircraft Mechanic on swing shift 2-10:30 Alaska Airlines west coast station preferably a non hub station, punch a clock but work is fun and not overly physical ,like a fireman job only less stressful and pays less,but benefits make up for it,surf every day,free travel for surf trips or very cheap interline travel to overseas surf............stay single my friends,stay single and wear that body out surfing would be my advice to the younger me,there is no prize at the end it all happens in the middle. Not that I have any regrets,but age just allows you to look back at the past with wisdom
    Mango Bill

10. jdogger

jdogger Active Member

Apr 4, 2006
    USA California
    Abalone diver.

PeakMaster and Lackosense like this.