Best job for surfers?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by glidewaves, Nov 4, 2018.

1. ac95

ac95 Active Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Los Angeles,California
    I’m a Motion Picture Grip. When on a production job I typically get I the water 3-4 times a week. If I’m on an off production job, it’s cut down to 2 days a week m, but only because I do r like surfing in the afternoon. If I’m freelancing, the surf days are up to me. More surf, less work. Worked great back when I didn’t have a family and obligations. Unles surfing pays the bills, your 30s and 40s, are spent working. Unless you can find a good hustle. If I could do it all over again, I’d be a fireman.

hankster and michael like this.
  2. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    Fisheries biologist - Hooked up with a small not-for-profit research outfit and negotiated to work remotely 2 days a week (commute is 50 min each way from my home). Workplace is pretty flexible too - get some grants, do your work and all’s good. Most of my weekday surfing is dawn patrol before work, but the flexibility a couple days a week is nice to time tides, wind switches etc. 40-60 days at sea over the course of a year, but luckily that is typically not when a good swell is running.

Dawnpatrol likes this.
  3. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    I'm not a fireman, but that is probably close to the top of the list due to benefits and retirement. Any flexible hour job that allows you to retire close to the coast is good. A very well paying self employed job is as good or better.

Either way the ideal job should provide enough for a lifetime of surfing. A lot of free time and no money looks great when you're young, but not so great when you're old.

John

Dawnpatrol and Lackosense like this.
  4. NJ Longboarder

NJ Longboarder Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Trust fund baby seems to be a good job for surfers. Most get burnt out tho and don't do anything productive. Must be stressful

I'm a engineer and probably work too much. I like what I do and puts food on the table for my family and staff. Could be a better surfer if I wasn't career focused. At 40, I think I missed my window to turn pro so an engineering career is fine with me.

5. Choked out surfer​

Choked out surfer​ Active Member

Jul 24, 2014
    I'm a dancer at Chip and Dales.
    Good money

6. joepoko

joepoko Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Queens, NY
    construction management/engineering. 7AM-3:30PM hours make well for doing everything, skating, surfing, moto shit, general having time home before everyone else even gets out of work. add on top of it good people that i work with, leaving early or coming in a few minutes late because of waves isn't ever too much of a hassle.

Lackosense likes this.
  7. Human

Human Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Oceanside
    I’m a professor. Lecture in the evening and research during the day at my own leisure.

Lackosense likes this.
  8. Makawaosurfer93

Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    Doorman/bellman at a resort on Maui. 3:00pm -11:00pm, punching a clock, no headaches taken home, was great tips back in the 80's/90s. Could have raised a family and bought a house if I didn't move back to NJ after my mom was diagnosed with cancer. Cest la vie.

Now I travel the world for a meeting planning company. When I am home I am home, no work at all. Surf tends to be good when I am out of town. Occasionally it lines up. Living 3 miles from the beach helps with small windows.

9. glider_boy

glider_boy Active Member

Apr 14, 2011
    SD
    These days there are a ton of jobs that allow you to work remotely, especially if you put in the sweat equity early on and prove yourself to your employer or whoever signs the checks.

I'm an attorney and still work with my former firm in TX as a remote independent contractor, living in SD and traveling back to TX when necessary. I take care of my own clients and help some other attorneys with their overflow work and basically make my own schedule, subject to client needs. When I first made the leap I thought it would just be a stopgap arrangement and eventually they'd tell me to leave and I'd have to get a regular job in CA. But after two years, everyone seems fine with it.

Never would've dreamed this was possible 15 years ago. One of my colleagues once said to treat everything you do as your own business because there is no real job security any more and we are all basically independent contractors selling our own skills. Develop a skill that others will pay for and it's amazing how much freedom you can have.

10. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Great topic glidewaves. As a retired fish biologist, the profession afforded me a comfortable balance. But being retired has offered me a greater latitude on when to pull the trigger and hit the surf. But, as an aged surfer comes physical issues, i.e., bad backs, shoulders, etc. all of which can compromise your once youthful performance on a wave.

An old friend of mine spent years as the head park ranger at Ano Nuevo State Reserve. Both him and I went to Humboldt State University in the late 60's early 70's where he spent time at Patrick's Point State Park and Gold Bluff Beach. All great surf venues. He had the best job for a surfer. You can read about him in one of the Surfer Journal issues entitled The Ranger.