Best job for surfers?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by glidewaves, Nov 4, 2018.

1. glidewaves

glidewaves Member

Jul 9, 2007
    USA New Jersey,Maryland
    Curious to read who out there has found a way to strike a good work-surfing balance and what jobs or type of work offer the flexibility to do both.

Dawnpatrol likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Active Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    I'll chime in with a quick two cents worth.

When I was maybe 16, I ditched school and found myself surfing GreenWall (the northern part of La Jolla shores) on a great day. Two guys in the water, myself and a guy in his mid-forties. Conversation wandered a bit, but in the end he told me that if I really wanted to surf, I could work part time and hope for the best, or get a great job that allowed a lot of time off... He was a surgeon.

After doing a bunch of things, including shaping, I went back to school and got my PhD and then a professorship. Even though the job I ended up with is in Paris, I'm only up there two days a week. And the occasional conference somewhere, which is fun for me anyways since the conferences deal with my research topics.

In the end, I have school vacations and a very flexible schedule during the week. When I'm in the middle of a project, surfing drops off a bit, but overall it is a great compromise.

Many ways to skin the proverbial cat, but that's been mine.

3. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    I will jump in. My wife and I own a landscape property maintaince business with no employees. We live in New England so our season runs from April to November. I only do dawn patrol as my nearest break is 1 hour away and can surf anytime there is a swell unless I’m behind do too rainy weather. The winters I do not work unless I’m plowing snow so I’m able to go anytime. If we had lived near the coast when we started our business I would be able to surf virtually any time there was a hint of a swell on any given day.

glidewaves, Driftwood and SeniorGrom like this.
  4. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Other than diminishing skills due to age + aches & pains; Retirement works for me. Except during my afternoon naps, I can paddle out when ever.

5. Freddibetts

Freddibetts Active Member

May 7, 2015
    USA New York
    Internet Based Biz -
    Work from the beach -
    trying to set myself up with something along this path -
    so far chained to a desk working for someone about 45min inland.

glidewaves likes this.
  6. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    I have an office based job with flexible hours. It’s essentially sales and I run my own desk. When I don’t show up until 9:30-10AM my boss will ask me how the surf was. I also recently moved back to the old neighborhood where I grew up. 7min commute vs 25min to the beach makes all the difference. Much easier to motivate in the morning when I know I can shower at home after and do my normal routine. I don’t get those empty Santa Ana early afternoons but I can typically surf from 6-9:30am or anytime between 4-8pm in the summer months.

Any job where you make your own hours or are your own boss is a good surfer job. Especially if it’s phone/computer based and you can work remote worldwide. I was on a surf trip in Mexico recently and my friend was clocking hours by occasionally responding to emails between surf sessions. She owns her own business.

glider_boy and glidewaves like this.
  7. strez

strez Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Hamilton, Massachusetts
    I work as a higher ed administrator which normally would mean "tied to a desk"...except my boss is great and lets me pretty much flex my schedule whenever I want - so I'm almost my own boss. I also get alot of vaca time in addition to school breaks and holidays. This fall I started another degree, though, so now I don't have as much time to surf, but I still have enough flex to get in the water. Lately on surf days I've been taking a full vaca day, surfing in the morning then studying for the afternoon at a local library near the beach - win/win.

8. Patrick Riley

Patrick Riley Member

May 15, 2018
    Jacksonville Beach
    I work for the fire department. Working a 24 on 48 off schedule is a pretty good gig for a surfer. There's a pretty good chance I'll be off for surf, if not, it's nothing to get someone to hold in for me for a few hours while I get a surf in. Starting pay isn't super, but if you are able to promote a bit it's quite good. Benefits are good and it's given me a lot of time with my kids when they were young.

9. Islander1341

Islander1341 New Member

Aug 18, 2018
    Wakefield RI
    Self employed Contractor with no employees. Basically work as a sub-contractor. Most of the time I can come and go as I please. It’s trickier when managing projects or working with a small crew, but similar to Patrick Riley’s situation, there’s usually a way to make a “working hours” surf happen.

glidewaves likes this.
  10. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    USA Florida
    Being the towel guy for the Pole at a strip club is always a good gig. LOL