Ben Gravy and the wildlife refuge

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Chilly Willy, Jun 28, 2018.

1. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I don’t get it either Peak. I’ve been through there a few times or at least a portion of it. I had the same reaction, “it’s in the bay”!? Excellent spot to watch migratory birds and waterfowl. Free to the public with a couple mile long horseshoe shaped drive out into the bay for observation. Yes this is social media too. We’re all damned and it’s probably Zuckerberg’s fault. Anybody here watch WestWorld?

Wade In The Waves likes this.
  2. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    forums such as jamboards considered 'old school' social media...pretty much the beer halls of the net, more about social discourse than social approval... unlikely to be used as a smart phone app during the day as opposed to the Instagram, Facebook addicts looking for their serotonin fixes...

3. Squid

Squid Member

Dec 19, 2011
    The refuge is actually pretty big as it has expanded on a piece meal fashion as properties became available over the years. Parts of it go from the LBI 72 causeway down Brigantine and from the ocean front west to route 9 in areas. The spot in question, called Little Beach is in fact and Island with a beach on the ocean, not the bay. It’s fun to surf at least once but I would certainly not consider it a spot any better than LBI or Brig to the south. If you look on google earth or bing maps, you will see it in between Holgate and Brigantine. It is legal to surf, just don’t step foot on dry sand or anchor a boat on the beach front. Great duck hunting there too in the winter and the same rules apply, don’t anchor or stake your sneakbox to any land and you are perfectly legal.

PeakMaster likes this.
  4. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I don't think I've ever seen any duckface selfies here, or wannabe modeling shots with one hand placed awkwardly on the head for that matter, so I think we get a pass. :)

5. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    Understand. I did add longboard.net. I have a t-shirt around here somewhere.

John

6. Makawaosurfer93

Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    In addition to the "refugee" term, the pronunciation of the Refuge is:

7. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    OK...I was looking North off the 72 Causeway. Now I see where you mean. Wonder what law enforcement agency supports it...if any. National Park Service Rangers? Not that I'd want to test it, but who's going to come after you if you beach your boat?

8. Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Good question. I'm not sure who is responsible for stopping you when you're actually doing it, but I've heard of cases in which NPS has tracked people down to give them citations for various things related to national wildlife refuges.

PeakMaster likes this.
  9. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    What like issue a summons via certified mail? I know it's been done.

10. Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    In this particular case that I'm thinking of, a guy was flying a drone over a national wildlife refuge and posted his footage on YouTube. The US Fish & Wildlife Service apparently caught wind of it, did a little detective work to figure out his identity and address, and an officer from that department actually showed up on his porch to give him a ticket. I guess if he didn't answer his door, they might have gone with certified mail.

The ordinary person probably wouldn't get nabbed for this (I'm sure they're not actively patrolling that area around the clock), but Gravy could certainly have something similar happen, especially since he's got ten times as many subscribers and has committed similar (and greater) offenses.

PeakMaster and SeniorGrom like this.