Authentic Wave

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by slideright, Apr 19, 2016.

1. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    Tatsuo’s book will be available shortly! Super stoked for him!!!

2. LÜGEN

LÜGEN Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Oceanside
    I think that’s because the quality of life peaked. Since the mid 60s it’s been a slow decline

Dawnpatrol likes this.
  3. FirstPointEric

FirstPointEric Well-Known Member

Indeed. This book has been a looooong time coming. I saw him so many times with his vintage Nikons from Malibu to Cardiff; sometimes with surf trip beard, other times clean-shaven. A good guy who, like many of us, adores the surf style from the 60s but lives very much in the present. Very psyched this big project from him is finally done and hopefully he can put (has put?) together a companion film for the book. He's got miles of great footage of some of the best traditionalists out there.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg7agcMlgCp/?taken-by=tatsuo_takei

http://www.tatsuotakei.com/authentic-wave/

Tatsuo Takei CJ Malibu.jpg

northbeachboy likes this.
  4. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    I'll look forward to browsing Tatsuo's book.

Regarding the "good old days" - life changed in and out of the water around the time the term "road rage" was coined. I think it represents the changes in attitudes and respect towards others that deteriorated from when I was younger. Still good days now, but definitely different.

Croweater likes this.
  5. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    The 60's were never about style, in fact it was the antithesis of style, it was just about living simply, being who you were, in the now. If the rent was paid, food was in the fridge, a half full tank of gas in the truck, a few joints in the glove box, you were digging your board, and had a gal to scratch your back, life was as good as it ever needed to be.

The current 'wave' of 60's nostalgia completely misses the actual gestalt of that time, is for most just a topical cool factor filter to hold up as a baffle against the overwhelming noise of living in today's over frenetic society with it's intense economic pressures, insanely polarized politics, skyrocketing disparity between the haves and not haves, instant notification of every f'd happening on the planet, a populace glued to their smart phones eagerly waiting for another endorphin fix from herd approval of their latest social media posting....gonna take more than an old ride, black frame sunglasses, slaps, and a Hawaiian shirt from the local Goodwill store to turn that volume knob down..

6. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    The good ole days.
    the quote above sounds like the very foundation of what I think about surfing today. more or less. not because it was something from a time period, but because it makes sense.

i am so looking forward to Tatsou’s book. I’m so stoked he was able to accomplish such a giant project.

the irony of posting your second paragraph on this internet surf forum is notable. the idea of making a photography project some sort of polarizing cultural piece is entertaining.

7. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Posit was about the '60's style wave', style vs. substance, have nothing but props's for Tatsou, he's walking the walk, a notable exception.

Keep up the responses, Miscreant, intellectual parry and thrust on an internet forum as rare as name calling is common.

miscreant likes this.
  8. Human

Human Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Oceanside
    Tatsuo’s work is the real deal.