Authentic Wave

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by slideright, Apr 19, 2016.

1. bbslider001

bbslider001 New Member

Jul 16, 2014
    SMUKES wrote:
    If you care about my vision of surfing, I'll care about yours...cool?

2. pilau

pilau Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    USA Hawaii
    Introverts and extroverts, man. Introverts and extroverts.

You guys in California are a trip.
    Edit... But you make some damn fine surfboards.

3. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    Trouser jousting! On guard!

4. pilau

pilau Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    USA Hawaii
    Smukes. Checked out some clips of that colapinto kid. Almost makes me wanna ride a pintailed log. Almost.

5. Mango Bill

Mango Bill Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2006
    USA California
    I just surf as much and as well as my body lets me

Mango

dingdong likes this.
  6. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Mango Bill wrote:
    my favorite post of the day

7. rustyneedles

rustyneedles Member

Sep 5, 2005
    USA California
    Mango Bill wrote:
    This just about sums up my surfing these days.

8. kiwi

kiwi Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Pulled this from Instagram.
    Account "oldsurfermags"

Lance Carson - Malibu, 1950 - "When I was a kid at Malibu it wasn't like, "get out of my way kid, or I'll run you over." Everyone tried to help you out. Nobody would push you off. I'd take off in front of guys and I'd feel this hand grab the back of my shorts, and it'd be some guy helping me up on my feet! That's the way surfing used to be. My early memories of surfing are bitchen! I remember standing up and seeing the bottom go by, the water was clear. There was sea life out there. Malibu had sea slugs, not too many urchins, starfish, octopus. Japanese fishermen would be out there every day at low tide, collecting seafood in buckets. You don't see that kind of sea life at Malibu anymore. The sand used to be pure white, and you could walk along after the tide had gone out and the sand was real smooth and it would squeak under your feet, that's how clean it was. There were uncrowded days, 4th of July weekend, six guys out, light wind coming off the point, blue-green water. You could hear guys taking off, paddling for the wave before it broke, splashing sounds as they paddled, the water slapping against the nose of their boards. I wish kids today could have memories like I've got, know about the days when surfing was mellow and if you could get your parents to take you surfing you could always find waves, sunshine, anytime you wanted. And no hassles, no crowds, no parking problem…" -Lance Carson in Surfer, 1984 -

9. NoseRideTheWhip

NoseRideTheWhip Active Member

Jul 29, 2014
    Sandstone Retreat, CA
    kiwi wrote:
    So good. Thanks for that.

10. longhairhippie

longhairhippie Member

Mar 31, 2011
    USA
    That account is gold.My favorite from recently."Six car day at Rincon, 1960, featuring a small but stellar cast. The pickup is Renny Yater's. The other vehicles belong to Bob Cooper, Miki Dora, Lance Carson and Kemp Aaberg. John Severson climbed the hill for this overview. By 1960, the sport had surged from several thousand to perhaps hundreds of thousands, but was obviously still unspoiled for the knowledgeable bird-dogging of major swells; a mute testimony to the mixed blessing of today's information overload." Page One of Surfer's Journal, Summer 2003

Attached files
    [​IMG]