Authentic Wave

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by slideright, Apr 19, 2016.

1. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    It is, but there's more to it. At some point, for some people surfing becomes a means of self-expression. This apart from while still including "the buzz." I'm amazed watching Corey Colapinto, all those bearded ozzy chicks et al. Nose perched minimalists, less so. Take a stand for the workin man, get as many tattoos as your sleves allow, drive the biggest godam car you can find... the hair flippers i suspect don't care, they'll just rail-grab a turn around you. "I know there's an answer."

2. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    USA Florida
    All that way-back-when stuff is way back when everybody wanted to be a californiasurfcatexpertontheocean.

3. dingdong

dingdong Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    i'm too fat to fit the fashionable stuff, too poor to buy what's currently hot, can't grow a beard, not even a stache, but I do want to be cool...and my surfing sucks...I think I have a surf identity crisis!

4. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    In the interest of full disclosure, i should mention that 1. I'm a pretty good swing and Lindy dancer and b. Was a bartender at The Live Wire, wallet chain required.

5. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    I think surfing turns a bit figure skatey when we start taking a stand for purity and virtue.

6. bbslider001

bbslider001 New Member

Jul 16, 2014
    There is nothing new under the sun...NOTHING. Are you or we having fun yet? No? Then what's the f***ing point? It took me years to learn this and it's too bad really. Getting it down though. If I can smile more and be stoked on my time in the water while remaining true to myself, I have accomplished something. And I am not talking about this bullshit aloha thing, but true and substantiated stoke. I just don't give a shit about anything else.

7. dogleg

dogleg New Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Non-competitors in the land of competition.

Full disclosure - Tequila Juleps at my place if you guys are free.

8. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
  9. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    I wish someone would appreciate my vision of surfing as i trailblaze out to nicky's for drinks and Blazing Boards vids.

10. kiwi

kiwi Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Soemtimes when I go fishing I don't catch anything, sometimes not even a bite. But the feeling of being there doing it is the same. With or without a nibble. I go home happy, relaxed and refreshed. My Dad however is the total opposite, it's all about catching, there is no happiness without something to show for his "effort".

Surfing for me is the same. I don't need perfect waves or perfect gear to get the same result from a paddle out.

But i will pay for the best winter wetty i can afford and maybe one day I'll get my hands on that illusive Hornet :)
    :D:D