Authentic Wave

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by slideright, Apr 19, 2016.

1. slideright

slideright New Member

Oct 19, 2006
    https://www.surfersjournal.com/feature/authentic-wave/
    Real stuff

2. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    What I meant on your Brian Wilson. Everyone wants 60s California cultural. The whole country, the whole world. But especially the Japanese. Well, try as you might, it's over. You're 50 years too late. LOL.

Croweater likes this.
  3. slideright

slideright New Member

Oct 19, 2006
    So very true, we all want that classic California cool. But the same thing is happening outside of surfing, whether it be custom car culture, choppers, barbers, pickling, gardening etc.. we are all hoping to hold on to something real authentic and not mass produced in turn it turns into mass marketing a whole movement. However I still feel like there are genuine cats still keeping it "close to the curl" and are 100% genuine.

4. fishy82

fishy82 New Member

Jun 2, 2013
    I'll admit, all the 60's stuff was really appealing for a while... The whole classic vibe made you feel more relaxed and in tune. Growing up in an era of punk and thrusters, it was a really nice and welcome change. Now "I" feel that a more balanced surf diet is the answer... Mix in some more new with the old and take a step forward while appreciating what has happened... It's funny how we all change and adapt ... Good times.... 🏄🏄🏄😀

Makawaosurfer93 likes this.
  5. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    Same as above. These are the good ol days. I remember some tool in the early 90s trying to explain why he drove an old merc, pomped his hair and wore a wallet chain and fonzy uniform every f#%kin day. He was about 25, and felt like "evrything was so much better in America in the 50s"... based upon The Pope of Grenynch Village I'm guessing. Apart from the crowd, I'm telling you, there has never been a better time to be a "surfer". Great boards of every era, unreal wetsuits, the inclusion of all types of people - not just white men, cheap and efficient travel etc...

6. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    damn smukes, first semi-quoting beach boys and now carly simon.

yep the old days are for old people and we are lucky enough to remember the actual good things about the good old days, foremost, like way fewer people(huge plus) but there was bad stuff too, which we often forget.
    Did i like it better then, hell yes...but i was young then too(and that ain't all bad) natural resources were more pristine and plentiful and you could actually still 'get away from it all' too without a hundred other people getting away from it all with you.
    I used to hear old people talk about the good old days when i was young...it seemed incomprehensible and pathetic.
    the difference now maybe for the first time in our US history (europe had the Renaissance;)) we have watched how cyclical these trends and things can be and we have seen our nostalgic fashions of the 50's 60's and 70's revisited by the younger ones among us, kind of funny and interesting to see (thanks mass marketing). I hope we all agree we can skip the 80's revival.
    we'll all have our good old days, ours were just better :D
    and you'll hopefully say the same thing

7. T-Bone

T-Bone Active Member

Ticowannabe wrote:
    What and miss out on amongst other things: the re-hash of Parachute Pants, Capezio's And bright Hi-lighter colored everything???? :shock:

8. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    T-Bone wrote:
    Z Cavaricci, dayglo everything and frogskins baby
    almost forgot the mullet too...but that only got a bad name a handful years after the fact

9. garagefull

garagefull Active Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    Better now: boards better overall with better rocker and rails, etc, more women in water so less fights, wetsuits, wax, surf forecasts, more surf media. Better then: crowds. For me, the crowd problem tips the scale to back then. 40-50 years ago, it seems the only people in the water during the week were students, waiters, guys building boards at night. Since then, people figured out how to both eat and surf. They telecommute a couple days a week, or have flex hours, or a outside sales job, whatever it takes to keep the lifestyle. I'm guilty of figuring it out, just like all the others.

10. rustyneedles

rustyneedles Member

Sep 5, 2005
    USA California
    SMUKES wrote:
    Did I know you back in 95? in my case it wasn't a merc though. it was a 56 F-100. Still wear the chain. no more pomp though. not enough hair up there anymore. traded the old cars for old surfboards. they're not as noticeable. still wearing 501's and pendletons. always will. never wanted to live in the 50's. No Reverend Horton Heat.