Are Aussie Style Noseriders Back in Style?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by GOIABA, Feb 11, 2018.

1. GOIABA

GOIABA Member

Oct 8, 2016
    CJ Nelson and Eden Saul of DeadKooks have been working on a new board model called the Guerrero. Videos of the board are insane. Easy to say the archer not the arrow but they make these boards look fun. Big cutbacks and noseriding? Someone tell me why this style of board should not be my next.

“In designing and shaping this board I wanted to bring a totally fresh approach to what CJ has been riding. After making a few Nausea model’s in various sizes and with a few tweaks I had a solid idea what I wanted to do with this concept. The Guerrero model is something fresh and exciting. Starting with the rocker used in the Dead Kooks Nausea model we added some extra curve in the front 18 inches giving a nice clean and consistent rocker curve improving hold on the nose, stable and fast trim from a forward position and precise control and drive from the rear. The outline is a nod to some late 60’s Australian favorites, pulling in the ears out front and carrying width just behind center providing a nice hip to work from. There is a pretty serious amount of concave that runs through the front third of the board, narrow and blended into the belly as it runs out into the rest of the board while not altering the rail line. The rails are a noticeably a little lower more a 60/40 running into a paneled V section leading into the fin with a dash of edge for control, direct feel underfoot and a little flair.” – Eden Saul
    https://cjnelsondesigns.com/surfboards/guerrero/

2. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    I think you'd be pretty surprised how many longboards actually ride like this if you just lay into them. My Bing PTLW surfs like this- minus the nose riding capabilities, just sub cheater 5's - when pushed aggressively.
    I do see the squirt on the CJ's when that tail concave kicks in coming out of the hard turns here and it looks like a really fun, stable, maneuverable board.

I've been really seriously eyeing up that Takayama Tommy Witt model for some time now when my Bing is surfed out, and this CJ Guerrero appears to be a wider outline square tail version.

T. Witt - image.jpg

GOIABA and Roach like this.
  3. cheyneskeezer

cheyneskeezer Well-Known Member

May 30, 2017
    Long Beach CA
    my friend is temping me with a thomas bexon currently need to steer away from my SOS boards . also future islands ooh new favorite band first song so good!

4. GOIABA

GOIABA Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Always loved the look of the T.Witt, but I figured it would work better in some juice with that pintail. I have a wide-point back pintail midlength that I can't seem to get off.

5. hullogfish

hullogfish Active Member

Dec 22, 2006
    USA California
    The Bodega Boarder Crew podcast episode with Devon Howard has some great insight on the Pig/ Aussie Style boards and how they are different, obviously, but also the modern evolution of them. I have been hooked on boards with wide point back, presently having an EC Supersled and a Christenson Bonneville. While these boards are not exactly Aussie style boards, some elements are present.

GOIABA likes this.
  6. GOIABA

GOIABA Member

Oct 8, 2016
    That was the interview where Howard was talking about the Tyler he had been riding in a couple of edits right? I had listened a month ago or so and that's what gave me the impression that wide-point back noseriders were back in style.

7. Croweater

Croweater Active Member

Oct 4, 2010
    USA Rhode Island
    Aussie Rules!

GOIABA and davey like this.
  8. GOIABA

GOIABA Member

Oct 8, 2016

I'm fairly certain this is the board Howard was talking about in that interview, no?

Driftwood and SeniorGrom like this.
  9. Driftwood

Driftwood Active Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    That is some beautiful surfing.

10. LÜGEN

LÜGEN Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Oceanside
    Rap and longboarding = NO