Anyone prefer glass-ons for mid lengths?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by michael, Oct 30, 2018.

1. michael

michael Active Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    playing with the idea of going with a glass on to minimize variables. anyone have 2 cents that i can borrow?

2. JBorbone

JBorbone Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Belmar, NJ
    unless you've already owned the same board and have already tried out a bunch of fins on it, I'd say stick with a box and play around with what works best for you.

DJR, DKNJ and michael like this.
  3. michael

michael Active Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    Makes sense. Thanks.

I guess I was thinking the shaper knows which fin works best in what placement, but he can't know my surfing or the waves I'm riding.... or how those will change over time. Case closed. (I'll text you next time)

JBorbone likes this.
  4. takedown

takedown Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Eugene, OR
    After trying out a mid length with 4+1 and trying each configuration with different fins in different positions I think having the boxes is the way to go. Just moving a single fin 1/2" can change the feel. It can also be confusing not knowing which configuration to go with on any given day.

5. michael

michael Active Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    That's exactly what motivated me to consider a glass-on. I don't know how well I can read conditions and apply appropriate fin positions, which can be mentally disturbing if I'm having an off day... but Borbone's comment still stands, if I don't end up enjoying the fin it comes with, well, that would be that.

JBorbone likes this.
  6. takedown

takedown Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Eugene, OR
    Yup. I've marked the box when I find a setting I like so that on days I'm not in the mood to experiment I set it and forget it.

Good luck!

Makawaosurfer93 and michael like this.
  7. Jmazz

Jmazz Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Ny
    It's a personal preference,
    I have 3 boards with glassed on and love em,
    6.9 twin keel, 7.6 twin not keel. 6.4 fish twin

DJR likes this.
  8. LogFather

LogFather Active Member

Jul 20, 2015
    USA
    box is best, a generic template mid box will be your "glass on" if it doesnt work move it or change the fin

deemce likes this.
  9. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    I say install a long box instead of mid size. IMO.

10. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I definitely smell what you're stepping in there -- I have a few longboards with glass on fins and like the idea that the shaper put it where it needs to be. Instead of fiddling with different fins and placements, you just go surf it. If the board isn't working well, then you get to blame yourself instead of blaming the fin. I like that, plus it looks pretty cool.

That said: I'd go with a box for a midlength. I've found that when I'm surfing midlengths, I'm looking for certain characteristics of turning and drive. If I'm not getting what I'm looking for, I will definitely adjust. Since longboards are more about glide and trimming (not that turning isn't important), I think I'm more likely to surf differently to work with the fin position as-is.