Anybody seeing foils in the lineup?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by nedsurf, Mar 14, 2018.

1. surfore

surfore Active Member

Mar 2, 2004
    USA California
    Now I’m seeing guys riding their fat tire electric bikes, with their foil SUP’s riding sidecar, in a full wetsuit and helmet. Joust!

2. BrazilButtNut

BrazilButtNut Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Ventura, CA
    I got in a paddle battle with a foiler once at Malibu. He was catching everything in sight. He caught a bigger wave I was paddling for in. I was already kind of irked. Then out on the horizon, I see a nice set coming. I think... finally! I paddle out to the peak, only one out there. Turn around to paddle and see the foiler paddling his fucking paddle board foil as hard as he can. Maybe 15-20 feet away from me, inside. I think... no, it's not possible... there's no way he could.... I am now paddling into the wave. He is in front of me, to the side. Turns around starts paddling for it. Wave is getting steeper. He's right next to me, 2 ft away. I pull out. He drops into the wave. Falls 10 ft later. His board flies up. This was maybe my one and only case of 'surf rage'. Probably the only time I've ever yelled at someone. He got out. What. the. fuck.

3. dsquare

dsquare Active Member

May 16, 2013
    USA Hawaii
    Eh... I ride with them all the time here in Kauai. Some in Poipu and some in Kalapaki's. Kalapakis has a large crew of foils both SUP, and prone. Some of the guys are very good on them, some are a little scary. Etiquette-wise the SUP foilers behave mostly like SUP guys, paddling in on every wave they can. The difference is that they are more than happy to "share waves". If they are in front of me in a "dropping in" position they can catch the wave 30-40 feet ahead and fly down the face 2-4 times faster than me. They really don't try to stay right in the curl. But most of the time they will hold off on a wave I am paddling into. When it gets bigger the kooky ones aren't out, when its super small the SUP foilers are often the only ones on a wave. On more than one occasion we have (with comfortable communication) crossed each other when sharing a wave- usually on the end of the wave, they go low I go high. They usually keep going though, sometimes for a couple hundred yards. Its not uncommon to ride Kalapakis with body surfers, body boarders, short-boarders, mid-lengths, longboards, cruisers, SUP's, prone foilers, SUP foilers, kayaks, canoes, and cruise ships. And sometimes you can still have fun!

Just like with SUP's, knowing the line-up and having good skills and etiquette will determine if the guy is a threat or not. Because they can catch and ride waves that surfers cannot they should be sticking to those spots. No reason to be paddling into a ledgy peak or shallow reef/rock break at all. If the foil gets even a bubble of air from the surface the foil affect is gone and it comes slamming back down into the water. My biggest issue is when they are pumping a wave from one peak to the next and come flying into a wave I am paddling for from a different angle. Its like they think everybody should stop surfing and watch them.

4. ac95

ac95 Active Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Los Angeles,California

Foils have no business at places like Malibu. The whole point of a foils
    Is that you don’t need a breaking wave. Go somewhere else!!!! Certain locals will argue this, but I’ve never seen him at Malibu. I’ve seen a frequent SUP foil at 1st Point, and he sucks. He can hardly get his craft going and even then I’ve seen I’m pearl in the pocket and seen his foil tomohawk after him. That’s the danger issue.

BrazilButtNut and dsquare like this.
  5. dsquare

dsquare Active Member

May 16, 2013
    USA Hawaii
  6. Bighouse

Bighouse Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    Was looking for a SUP to fish off and found at least 50% of the big SUP companies sell foil boards now.

There goes the summer....

7. Tlri

Tlri Active Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Rhode island
    This I get!

If I could catch a ride a quarter mile out before there is a wave it’d be amazing. Surf the swell not a breaking wave, avoid the crowds and have another tool to harness the power of Mother Nature. I get foil wind/kitesurfing too, when you’re relying on significant wind to drive you but the same wind is altering the water. Put yourself above the water and fly.
    I don’t get or support foil surf or sup in or around a lineup. If there’s an empty beach and you want to foil have at it but it sure does seem more suited for these long offshore rides.

8. Bonzourno

Bonzourno New Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Capitola
    Foils - The e-bike of surfing.......

ac95 likes this.
  9. BrazilButtNut

BrazilButtNut Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Ventura, CA
    I agree. There's a spot I surf a lot in Ventura that has a lot of foilers, but it's spread out and never crowded. I really don't mind. It's just in crowds, can be dangerous!

10. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Day at Cottons last Sunday. While walking in and out there were a few also walking. There were dozens of bikes carrying boards. Of these, one was a non-electric bike. One.

WTF has happened? Opinions?