Anybody seeing foils in the lineup?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by nedsurf, Mar 14, 2018.

1. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
  2. glider_boy

glider_boy Active Member

Apr 14, 2011
    SD
    Seen them at least 3 times in the last few months. A couple of times at PB Point and once at San Elijo. So far, the riders were (mostly) avoiding crowded peaks but only a matter of time I'm sure.

3. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Don, saw one at Four Doors this last Fall. Mediocre surf and he was catching every wave in sight. A guy up here on the Peninsula has one but I have yet to see him ride it. Glider_boy is right, just a matter of time, chaos in the line up.

4. dingdong

dingdong Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    seen a couple guys at the newport river jetties, and one at the HB cliffs, the guy on the foil at cliffs was right in the middle of the crowd

5. tc96707

tc96707 Member

Feb 3, 2016
    USA Hawaii
    I'm beginning to see more & more here at White Plains Beach, Oahu. Most are Stand-Up Paddle boards.

6. houseofsuffering

houseofsuffering Active Member

Nov 1, 2005
    XXX
    Saw a guy trying one on the south end of Strathmere. Seems like a weird hobby for NJ.

7. surfore

surfore Active Member

Mar 2, 2004
    USA California
    North end of Linda Mar on a head high day. A big guy with a helmet on a big sup and a waist leash. He was blabbing to the wife of a local about how he’d been out at a Malibu and was saying “Sometimes I just gotta run people over...” and things like that. I really was trying to ignore him because of his nonstop chatter and he seemed like a dork. A wave appeared on the horizon so I started to stroke to position and he started to paddle too. It wasn’t one of the bigger waves but fuck if I was going to let waist leash have it. He quietly said, “Don’t go for this one there’s a bigger one behind it.” Mmm hmm. I’d gone too far outside to chase it down but I tried. He caught it and low and behold there was a bigger one right behind it. Two paddles in and I was off to the races. Sweet. Thanks big sup guy. I slowly making my way back out south of the peak as a few more waves we rolling through when an odd wave swung wide. Surprise he was already back outside. I saw him paddle for it and thought “oh shit, I’m going to get clobbered.” In slow motion I saw the board rise up out of the water and everything went silent...a foil. I thought “oh shit this is where I die” - his angle was going to take him straight into me. From what I’ve seen of guys foiling there was no hard cut back or quick chance of direction especially on that big board so I paddeled hard as hell and in the direction of where he’d been. He flew by, missing me with plenty of room, I’d say he was about 10 yards away. He was pretty competent on it but holy hell.

8. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    I see SUP foils all the time at SanO. Usually south of Old Man's. Dog Patch or so. Talked to a ranger and he told me they hadn't even addressed the regular SUPs, since the "O" "K" signs are gone, let alone the foils.

As far as the SUPs, I thought I read that the State wants the signs back but the club is fighting them on that.

Occasionally there will be someone on a foil surfboard out there but so far they haven't been where it is crowded.

John

9. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Probably a local buddy of mine. He’s only been SUPing for the last 10 years or so. Been surfing since we were kids. Saw the foil on the roof of his car in the Fall and talked to him. Said he’s trying to learn but swears it’s his “last” attempt at alternative equipment. At that point he said he hadn’t been able to get up on the foil using the paddle just behind a jet ski. Whack-a-Doodles.

10. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I saw a guy in Seaside Park this past Labor Day unpacking a foil from his car first thing in the morning. I groaned when I saw him, but he seemed like a nice enough guy. I loaned him my screwdriver so he could put it all together. He was off by himself, mostly just struggling to catch anything. He was out for maybe 15 minutes before packing it up. I will admit that I could see myself zipping across the bay on this one, but I definitely canNOT see myself squeezing out $12k for one.