Anybody have more information about Tom Morey?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by nedsurf, Nov 5, 2017.

1. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    pefa and Chilly Willy like this.
  2. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I saw a lot of hoopla just yesterday about that from Mike Stewart, Jay Reale (via eBodyboarding.com), and others. As you may or may not know, Tom Morey didnt really get filthy rich from inventing the Boogie Board. He sold it to Kransco because he was unable to keep up with production demand, and while he was retained as a consultant, it was largely a bum deal. He was never really the kind of guy who was in it to get filthy rich, which is probably why he is against patents and would rather put his crazy inventions out into the ether for people to run with the ball. As a result, I guess he is now blind (not sure why) and needs financial help. The tight knit bodyboard industry is trying to pull together to help out their founding father who made the whole thing possible. Pretty cool. If anyone has ever been stoked about riding a boogie, whether as a kid or now, consider dropping a couple bucks into the pot for Tom.

pefa likes this.
  3. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    pefa likes this.
  4. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Nedsurf made a good point in another post, so here's a bump for a great cause. If you have a couple bucks to spare, consider making a donation.

I was thankful for Tom Morey last year. It was July and killer pop up swell hit when I was at work. I happened to have my boogie in the car, so I rushed over to the beach on my lunch break. I hustled down to the water, pulled into a few prone barrels, and scurried back off to work right on time (well, pretty close to it). I only got about 30 minutes in the water, but it was one of my top 5 most memorable sessions. I could never pull crazy airs like people do on bodyboards now, but I sure do love pulling into a nice little tube and just enjoying. Exactly what Tom envisioned.