Any vintage skate collectors out there?

Discussion in 'Skate' started by Chilly Willy, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Any vintage skate collectors here?

Sorry about the shameless plug, but I just put my old Powell Peralta Per Welinder freestyle board on eBay. I really hemmed and hawed about selling it, but there are collectors out there that would probably give it a much better home and lots of love.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321267675811

Gotta love the world of classic 1980s freestyle skateboarding. My friends mocked the hell out of me for riding this when I first rolled out on it. When I started doing rail flips, they finally admitted it looked pretty cool. Fast forward a few decades and 99% of street skating is basically inspired by old freestyle tricks. (Thanks for the influence, Rodney Mullen.)

Attached files
    [​IMG]

2. pilau

pilau Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    USA Hawaii
  3. Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Those old skate graphics from the 80s were so great. I think it was VCJ who drew the Welinder art along with all the other iconic Powell stuff. Another great was [the non-surf] Jim Phillips who created the screaming hand. I hope those guys got paid well, because the artwork was such a huge part of the soul of those boards.

4. walkingtheplank

walkingtheplank Member

Aug 2, 2004
    i had a few during the old school collecting phase: PP Skull & Sword, several Hosoi variations, Vision Old Ghosts, Skull Skates Ken McGuire, Sims New Wave & the coup de gras...an '80 PP Jay Smith w/original Bones wheels in mint condition.

anyone ever own an original PP Tommy Guerrero V8? that one is still my holy grail.

oh yeah - forgot about this too

Attached files
    [​IMG]

5. Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Love it! I picture that as a board that should be skated at Wallows.

6. walkingtheplank

walkingtheplank Member

Aug 2, 2004
    probably should've kept it - haven't found once since w/such classic graphics & complimentary colors

7. Rad-Boardshorts

Rad-Boardshorts New Member

Oct 29, 2013
    I love vintage shapes. But I try to keep my skate quiver pretty minimal.

I remember those old freestyle decks kicking around at friends houses - everyone who had one never skated them though.

This has been a great year for alternative / retro shapes in skateboarding. I considered getting a Powell reissue until I saw the new Welcome shapes. I have a moon trimmer that I've been skating since summer & it's extremely functional & just plain fun.

8. Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Rad-Boardshorts wrote:
    Funny you mention that. I bought this deck at one point and left it ungripped/unmounted for several years. I finally felt bad about not riding it, so I got it all set up and rode it.

Yeah, freestyle boards weren't exactly the kinds of boards you'd take on an epic Animal Chin style journey. Pull up a patch of concrete and there you go. Interestingly enough, my current house came with a nice little 12' x 12' patch of concrete out in the backyard. That's like the freestyle equivalent of having a half pipe in your backyard! I would have killed for that back in the day. My freestyle days are long, long over, so that patch has gone un-pogoed. Ha ha.