Andreini Power Blade...?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Surfnfish, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Active Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Somewhat earlier than that even...... if you talk to Dennis Ryder, he recalls working in the Saticoy factory of Pope's (where later the W.A.V.E. Hollows would be built) with Michael back then. I think DR told me Cundith aka Cundiff, was sanding then began shaping at that point. Dennis was shaping the Peck Penetrators & Blue Machines among other models for Morey Pope.

After that, the icehouse Wilderness era began off Cabrillo Blvd. in Santa Barbara with Peter, George coming in and out, Duncan coming into the scene.... the creation of Wilderness Byron Bay due to GG's regular back n forth to his ranch down there.

I think the marketing here is impressive and almost too slick, but I'd take exception with the single fin flat rocker concept unless Marc is referring to George's Spoons which were flat then flexed for variable rocker on demand. I've spent nearly ten years now building v bottoms that are what I consider using a "double rocker system" (at center and at rail) that seems to be in direct contradiction of what Marc has stated in his Press Release. The other thing that ISN'T being said is that tri fins have LEVERAGE, and that angle of leverage from positioning rail to center tail fin cannot be duplicated with the G6 or this newest single fin....... I don't care if it wags like a shark's tail...... I mean that's really nice and all, BUT it's just plain physics that the leverage angle of tri fins & quads for that matter have different affects on how the surfboard moves thru water opposed to ANY single fin in a traditional position.

George's "paddle fin" acts like a tiller or somewhat like a keel. Single keel fins have more leverage than a single high aspect fin....... keels are very fast, I used to ride an 11-1/2" single keel at Jalama and Rincon, but they too, had a completely different ride and their own set of limitations. Short radius turns & cutbacks are out of the question - you swoop more like a sea gull riding the 'apparent wind' wave seagulls ride.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    Surfnfish and SeniorGrom like this.
  2. Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    A late thought....... for the guys riding my deep vee bottoms, I have told them that the flexier the fin, the bigger they should go...... that it is like a windsurfing sail that "twists off" while spilling air from the sail.

All fins provide Lift & Drag...... seems like a contradiction but it's not. Fins penetrate the Boundary Layer and provide Drag thereby providing "Directional Stability". ALL fins do this. The material composition being used for the fin Marc is talking about is unique, and I am sure the flex pattern is typically brainy in a GG sort of way.... the chord position, total area, placement of area, turbulence created for better laminar flow..... all of it, I'm sure makes for one hell of a nice high performance, very pricey, single fin.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    Surfnfish likes this.
  3. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

nailed that one...at their core single fins are all about fall line speed flow, and regardless of hull/fin tweaks will never match the angle of attack and thrust acceleration of a multi-fin. And if really looking for those, why limit yourself to a single fin...horses for courses

Thunder Chicken likes this.
  4. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    "fall line speed flow" = my kind of place.

Thunder Chicken likes this.
  5. Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    I love the snow skiing comparison.... (I miss my hell days of skiing!) As far as the "edge boards", the ones George rides and Bob Duncan (Wilderness) shapes are more extreme than what you seem from Anderson, Mandala, lemmings & copycat wannabes. The extreme edge and concave are acting in a fin fashion of sorts by providing directional stability..... but nothing like the leverage angles of a tri or quads more out on the rail.