And it gets worse...

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by SharkB8, May 15, 2018.

1. Surph

Surph Active Member

Mar 29, 2010
    SUPers around here are now in their Slater potato chip phase, riding small pointy boards and spend 90% of the time Pocahontas style or falling on their ass in flat water.

I wish Catch Surf would make one then it would be cool to have a softeeSUP.

2. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    SharkB8, Our local Costco have been selling these for several years. I bought one for my wife for our lake. She seems to enjoy it but neither her nor I would take it or any other SUP out in the surf. The Wavestorm surfboard is a great thing for kids. It gets 'em in the water, they're relatively safe (read soft) and the smiles on kids face is priceless. If those kids get hooked, they're future clients of folks who can shape 'em a custom board.

Surfnfish likes this.
  3. SharkB8

SharkB8 Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    USA Virginia
    I’m not saying it’s all bad. I tried one last summer. It was sitting on the beach and the girl that was riding it was swimming. I said hi as I paddled past. She laughed and I caught a little wave in. Floats good and if they surf pipe then it can handle anything we get. We get many people learning sup in our small area we are allowed to surf.

4. glider_boy

glider_boy Active Member

Apr 14, 2011
    SD
    I was in Kauai last week. My wife and I had a few hours to kill before our flight out so we posted up at the Duke's on Kalapaki Beach. It was a small, mushy day on the main bayfront break and the lineup consisted of:

5-6 people on SUPs (3 completely inept);
    1 foil-boarder (didn't put any of the incompetent SUPers out of their misery, at least while I was there)
    1 foil SUP (ditto)
    1 shortboarder (who strangely was was getting more waves than even the competent SUPers)
    0 longboarders

The apocalypse is nigh, my friends.

5. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    two brothers at the local, core shortboard chargers in their 40's, will occasionally jump on longer foamies in summer LB mush and rip up the break on them ...they often take off together on the same wave, bumping rails while one steps onto the others board, and proceed to goofball down the line together, one toeing the nose while the other weights down the tail, hooting and laughing their ass's off...personally love my customs, but grins is grins..