Almost Maui

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by longhairhippie, Aug 10, 2018.

1. longhairhippie

longhairhippie Member

Mar 31, 2011
    USA
    I'm heading to Maui in a month and half. I've been twice before but this will be the first time taking my kids - 6 & 8. They want to try surfing in Hawaii. Previously I've stayed in Kihei and I've heard the best beginner break for lessons is at Cove Park. This time around we'll be staying in Kaanapali. Are there any good beginner spots near there? Where is the best place to rent a board? I've had some great experiences on Maui that I can't wait to share with them. Hopefully there will be some fun surf as well.

2. dingdong

dingdong Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
  3. noparking

noparking Member

Sep 26, 2013
    USA Oregon
    Search my posted/created threads my Maui one has some good info

4. Makawaosurfer93

Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    I was there last August with the kids, and surfed a little wave just east of the Westin in Ka'anapali, don't know the name of the break, but it was fun when there seemed to be no waves anywhere else there. We rented from Mike's Maui Beach House right by the Pizza Hut/Taco Bell with the Rainbow painted VW out front. Plenty boards to choose from and some upstairs too if you are looking for a Poly board. they mostly had GSI/Surftechs downstairs. Nice people. Ole's is around the corner, at 277 Wili Ko Pl. #13 Lahaina 96761

http://lifeisprimo.com

5. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    wife and I had a fun trip on Maui years back, got some fun waves all over the west shore, including by where the Lanai ferry docks. We took the ferry one day to check Lanai out, waiting for it to leave, stroll over to the starboard rail to watch the surfers finishing up their rides a stone throw away...look down where the reef drops into the channel dug out for the ferry, and realize I'm looking at a whole bunch of sharks milling about ranging from smaller to man eating size..ask a passing deckhand if they ever hassle the surfers...'been a while, bra, but yea, they take a bite once in a while. Never catch my ass out there...

6. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I say it in every Maui thread. If you haven’t been there, gotta at least go and see Honolua Bay. Not a Summer wave but you can always imagine it. Haleakala too.