Airline, Boardbags - per board or per bag?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by HerbB, Feb 17, 2019.

1. HerbB

HerbB Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Pennsylvania
    Question for the travelers. Do airlines usually charge per bag or per board?

Looks like the going rate is 150.00. If I take 3 boards, am I looking at 450.00 per way?

2. strez

strez Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Hamilton, Massachusetts
    I haven't traveled in awhile, but each airline has their regulations. Then the staff at the counter interpret them...

3. HerbB

HerbB Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks flying United, if anyone has any recent experience with them.

4. garagefull

garagefull Active Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    No recent experience with United, but I flew them a lot at my old job. Don't expect to sweet talk the gate agent into lower or no fees. Even when I flew over 50K mile annually with United, I still had to pay full boat. A gate agent once told me that he surfed and even he had to pay the board fees.

5. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    United has some pretty challenging criteria for traveling with a surfboard. Last month I was looking at a trip to San Diego from the east coast. I almost always fly Southwest if I'm bringing a board.
    Anyhow United had a cheaper deal and a new policy that when flying to or from CA surfboards were $75 to celebrate CA making surfing the "state sport"
    After speaking to one of their CS people I was informed that there are size restrictions. she pointed out
    "Note: On United flights, surfboards, wakeboards, paddleboards and board bags that exceed 115 linear inches (292 cm) will not be accepted. On United Express® flights, surfboards, wakeboards, paddleboards and board bags are subject to the aircraft's load capacities, and items that exceed 80 linear inches (203 cm) will not be accepted. "
    The definition of linear inches is not what it seems. In this case they refer to linear as L" + W" + H." 115" My 7'6" quad bag is 90" + 24" + 11" =135" This plus the fact that I'd have to take a United Express on the 1st leg of my trip pretty much nixed that plan.

Cliffnote version: if your bag is bigger than their restrictions you are not getting your board on the plane at any price.

Im pretty sure United has the strictest policy of all the airlines. Southwest, Alaska, Delta all charge by the bag. Jet blue has a low fee ($75per board) and depending on the counter person its by the bag or board. When went to CR I paid by the bag going and by the board returning.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  6. Croweater

Croweater Active Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Carlsbad, CA
    Fly southwest or just buy a board when you get there. Way cheaper.

7. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Active Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  8. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
  9. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    We, as surfers, always like to complain about how the airlines rape us on board fees. We are prone to point to golf bags, etc. and ask "what gives"? In general terms, , , , "surfers" typically only account for, let's say, 10% of an airlines "sports travelers" but, damaged boards, etc, account for like 80% of the airlines damaged baggage claims. I gave up on traveling with a board way back in the last century.

10. HerbB

HerbB Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Pennsylvania
    Cuda,

So following what you say, I have a 6'6" board bag: 78" x 27 x 8" = 113 I'm good?