ahh..the joy of selling a board on CL

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Surfnfish, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

have a newer LB for sale, excellent condition, dropped the price down to $600 because surfboard buyers in Oregon are...well you decide...

email from a gal, brief sketch of her life history, multiple references to a boyfriend who sounds just peachy...finally gets to the board... "I'm just starting out, really don't know much about surfboards..do you think this will be a good one for me? My girlfriend who works at the wine bar with me in Portland says it's only worth $400 so I'd be willing to offer that".

"Hey dude, that's a really bitchin board. See, the thing is, I live up in Seattle, and you live like 2 hours south of Portland? Well, if it's cool with you, I'll be down in Portland with my girlfriend tomorrow night to see one of our favorite bands play and if you'd be willing to drive to Portland and meet us in front of the club before the club opens, I could give you $400 cash? What do you think?

The very well off psychiatrist with a thriving practice who used to speed through our old neighborhood in his Porsche convertible coming and going from his wine estate up in the hills and his downtown practice. "Well, that's a very nice board, and if you would take $500 for it, my wife and I will be going to our second home on the coast tomorrow and could swing by and pick it up then."

The old surfer 200 miles down the coast, two long emails, one chronicalling his injuries and illnesses, thinks the board would be perfect for him, but the problem is, he's broke because his girlfriend took off and left him with all the bills.

And probably a half dozen inquiries asking if the board is still available - and the last sentence on the CL ad states "if this ad is still up, the board is still for sale." And of course, no further responses when I reply yes, the board is still available.

Fug'it..board goes into my buddy's surf shop on Monday for consignment...

2. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    I always list a phone number and it weeds 90% of the bs out. That’s been my experience anyway.

3. Makawaosurfer93

Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    I did once and I got text's from all the wrong people.

Croweater likes this.
  4. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I’m probably just too lazy to bother with CL. Sure I’ve missed out on incredible deals, both vintage and newer. I purchase boards that I want and keep them. Try to keep them in good condition but do surf my boards a lot. When I want to sell one (not often) I take them to the shop and put a somewhat high price on them because of the 25% consignment fee. I figure they get decent visibility and I only have to drive 3 miles. I tell the shop owner I don’t need to sell it and don’t care how long it sits. Usually sells in 1-2 weeks (in season). Completely no hastle on my part except taking the wax off.

5. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

this is primarily the land of Surftech and Firewire...put a Skip Frye up for sale around here and 99% of the 'surfers' wouldn't have a clue as to who Skip is...

dingpatch likes this.
  6. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    USA Florida
    I'll take it off your hands for $200, $250 if you ship it to Florida for me!

Lol

Surfnfish likes this.
  7. SharkB8

SharkB8 Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    USA Virginia
    Will you trade for a canoe? No joke it happened. Clearly listed no trades.

8. neighbor

neighbor Member

Feb 24, 2004

I have been saving this CL comment from a disappointed potential buyer for years
    ———————————————————

You have a really good fin for it at "a little additional cost?"
    So if I understand your ad correctly, surfboards do not come with fins anymore.
    Every board I've purchased in the past had a fin or fins included in the price of the board.
    Xxxxxx

———————————————————

Hi Xxxxxx. It's not uncommon to sell boards without fins. Many experienced surfers have a collection of fins that might be suitable for any board they may want to buy. The same thing is true with better used bicycles. They typically are sold without pedals. As a matter of fact, if you look at the build specs for many bicycles, they don't even list pedals. And those things go for waaay more that a surfboard. Now that I think about it, when you buy a new sailboat, they don't come with sails. The new owner usually knows exactly what he or she wants and they go get it. And, by not including a fin with my listing, I was leaving an opening for some negotiation.

Hope this email finds you well.

shadydave likes this.
  9. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    I've encountered all sorts of BS even when the price is listed as "firm, no lowballers". But I've never failed to sell a board at a good price on CL. You just have to expect a bunch of trolls.

jbb and shadydave like this.