Abacos Surf Trip

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by NCJohn, Mar 30, 2018.

1. NCJohn

NCJohn Active Member

Oct 27, 2015
    I was planning on a trip to Pavones but my parents just retired and are living on their boat in the Bahamas this winter. So I'm going to head down there next week to do some sailing and surfing with my dad.

Does anyone have any tips or spots they'd like to share? I'm most interested in any spots that might be protected from the north wind that's forecasted.

Thanks guys

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Active Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    I can't say much about the surf in the Bahamas, but do make the most of the time with your Dad. My Dad and I never surfed together, but the memories I have of sailing with him are among my best.

Stoked for you.

Ticowannabe likes this.
  3. NCJohn

NCJohn Active Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Thanks Driftwood my memories of growing up sailing on the Chesapeake with my family are some of my fondest. And of course as I've grown older I've learned to appreciate those times in the moment and so I'm sure this trip will be all the more special. Thanks for the good vibes. John

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Ticowannabe likes this.
  4. HogLog

HogLog New Member

Mar 29, 2018
    LCRI
    Elbow Cay!

MDM likes this.
  5. MDM

MDM Active Member

Dec 12, 2011
    USA New Hampshire
    Surfed Elbow Cay many years ago. Not much to do there if the surf ain't firing except eat Conch fritters

Ticowannabe likes this.
  6. NCJohn

NCJohn Active Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Just returned managed to get one day of favorable wind and swell direction at Garbanzos on Elbow Cay and had it all to myself. First pic below is Treasure Cay on the north end of Great Abaco. Second is Garbanzos. I read that the Bahamas surf scene fell out of popularity in the 80s when central America came into the picture. But if you had the right boat, some patience and a lot of time on your hands you'd find surfing paradise down there.

QWPthvQ6-132842169.jpg 3VXYhXj0-132777327.jpg