A skate board that resembles surfing.

Discussion in 'Skate' started by MarinedudeJoe, Jul 5, 2008.

1. MarinedudeJoe

MarinedudeJoe New Member

Apr 21, 2008
    USA Florida
    I just got back into surfing after 40 years and need more balance practice. Something that doesnt cost a mint for I wont be doing rails and jumping over ledges just curves and things that will give me balance..i found a two wheel one in front and ont in back on SKYMall.com for $100..but dont know if this is really what I need..you young guys might be able to help me..thanks. joe

2. jdogger

jdogger Member

Apr 4, 2006
    USA California
  3. DownSouthSlidah

DownSouthSlidah Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Joe,

Two Harbour Longboard skates:

http://barfoot.com/legends/index.html?cart=1215573214384067

I own the Chew Banana model. Really nice and stable.

The two wheeled thing is very popular and the kids seem to love it. Scares the hell out of me though.

Or try this:

http://indoboard.com/

Just use it on carpet or just use the blow-up pad under it instead of the roller (that's what I do - the roller can be a death machine.

Don't break yourself. We don't bounce like we did when we were young.

4. MarinedudeJoe

MarinedudeJoe New Member

Apr 21, 2008
    USA Florida
    Sir Dude..why didnt I just ask you to begin with? duh..Which one of those things do you think would give me the most balance practice the fastest? Skateboarding was never really a problem and these new things look as big as the boards that are out there now. That other thing looks pretty hard to do. But I am having some problem with balance. Also the two wheeled thing said that it will also climb a hill..and it looks like it is good for balance..as you can expect with 2 new Harbours coming in..I cant now bring in $300 worth of balancing equipt..lol...You are really keeping me honest..I didnt know the surf dudes would be looking on the skateboard side so thought I could just slip this in..I have to be able to surf again before Harbour day.:shock::cool:

5. DownSouthSlidah

DownSouthSlidah Member

Oct 30, 2007
    I hear you. I find the Indo board is good with the pillow. I hate the roller - scares the beJesus out of me. The Barfoot Chew Banana is just plain fun but I am preternaturally afraid of asphalt so I am tentative about carving.

Surfing is the best practice for balance. Yoga Tree Stance held for long periods is awesome and the expensive great way is (flat water) SUPing. My balance has improved so much with Stand up Paddling. I don't surf the thing because I feel that if there are waves I want to be on a regular board. there are plenty of people who enjoy surfing the things though.

Cheapest way:

Get a piece of ply about 18" x 24", buy the pillow thing only from Indo, and put the ply on the inflated pillow thing. Voila. Costs about $20 total.

You can inflate or deflate the pillow thing to make it harder/easier.

That two wheel thing looks fun and you can probably find a used one cheap, but it relies on constant motion of one foot and the other so it doesn't mimic surfing.

J

6. longboarder1956

longboarder1956 Member

Sep 28, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    Ripcurl,

I did not know that you already had the chew model as a skateboard. now i understand a lot more. LOL i was looking at that skateboard myself and could not justify it as i have the very same model but as a Robert August what i ride model. thought the Chew would match my San-O though. I hight recomend that board. It is one of my favorites and it stays in the back of my truck and i ride it back and forth to the beach after I park and unload.[​IMG][​IMG]" ALT="">

7. MarinedudeJoe

MarinedudeJoe New Member

Apr 21, 2008
    USA Florida
    Dink, Thanks I just ordered the skateboard that looks like is it the "Crew" that you are dying to get your hands on..Thanks again for your recommendation..

8. DownSouthSlidah

DownSouthSlidah Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Nick - It's twoo. I am obsessed.

Joe - excellent choice! You'll be pleased. Pad up.

9. gaucho

gaucho New Member

Mar 3, 2004
    USA Florida
    I know I'm late to reply here but check out the beautiful longboards made by the guys that bring you this great website. Here's a little promo video I made for them...
    http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=longboard+revolution&sitesearch=#

10. MarinedudeJoe

MarinedudeJoe New Member

Apr 21, 2008
    USA Florida
    gaucho wrote:
    Gaucho, thanks for the video. Cool..Im wondering how they get that speed which looks like on a flat road. Are they being pulled by a car..Also I am wondering if Im hanging ten and the front wheel hits a pebble is my face going to be planted in the concrete. I ordered a board from Barfoot but a little disappointed. He told me he sold out and whould make another batch in 7 days and to remind him in 10 days..well I have done that and no word..I didnt know that Jam made long boards. I thought they just ran the site...Plus Barfoot had a board that matched my Harbour Surfboard..If I dont hear from him this week I will have to cancel. Hell Rich Harbour made a complet surfboard for me in almost 6 weeks..Nice Vid man. I now have some ideas on how to further breat my neck. Joe