A duffers guide to Costa Rica please........

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by jory, May 13, 2018.

1. jory

jory Active Member

Dec 25, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Hey guys!

Looking to plan a fun family trip somewhere warm with soft waves next year. Costa Rica always seems like it's a fairly safe, non-feral surf trip with warm water/weather, wondered if any of you could give me the scoop.

I want to surf, ideally head high and under. My wife doesn't surf but is into yoga and beach chilling but doesn't want to rough it. Daughter is 13 & will surf if it's tiny but not too bothered either way. I know the water is warm year round in CR but I don't know what time of year is better or what are the average surf sizes each season.

Seems like most of the surf footage I've seen is down the northern Pacific coast between Tamarindo, Nosara and Santa Teresa. Is it all mostly beach break? Is there much difference between all these areas?

I heard getting boards flown there is expensive. Is it possible to rent/ buy a beater

Basically any general info on where/ when to go/ avoid and how to make sure I have a fun surf trip and my girls have a great safe holiday would be brilliant.

Thanks!!!

2. Bighouse

Bighouse Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    avoid Tamarindo and Jaco (and neighboring Hermosa surf can get heavy) Nosara is an easy trip from the Liberia airport. Dominical is a little farther from San Jose. Not many hotels, but lots of rentals. There are always waves. The green season means rainy season. Haven’t been in a decade but can’t wait to go back!

Ticowannabe likes this.
  3. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Calling Tico, Line 2 please!

Jory, you are going to love the warm water!

4. strez

strez Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Hamilton, Massachusetts
    Indeed! But make sure you wear a rash guard and some compression shorts under your surf trunks. Rash=no fun.

5. Left Coast 46

Left Coast 46 Active Member

Apr 30, 2015
    So Cal
    Yes Tico would be your man!! If you like to stay in Pavones, let me know I will hook you up with Bobby, he is the coolest dude you'll meet in CR. It's an awesome trek.

6. Dawnpatrol

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Indeed, I recommend a long sleeve rash guard and plenty of sunscreen. Titty rash no fun!

7. jory

jory Active Member

Dec 25, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the replies guys! With water temps still in the low 50's here, it's sounding a very attractive trip!

How does mid Feb sound as a time to go?

8. glider_boy

glider_boy Active Member

Apr 14, 2011
    SD
    In Feb. it will be drier (and HOT!) and the surf will be smaller (due to summer in S.PAC). But many / most places are still pretty consistent that time of year, esp. if you're cool with surfing easy, waist-high logging waves.

Nosara is an obvious bet. It's pretty much one long beach with a few reef peaks at the fringes, but mostly beachbreak. Big yoga hotspot and pretty trendy. More nice resorts etc. Can walk to the beach if you stay central.

Dominical area is a bit less touristy and has a good variety of waves, from heavy to easy, though you'll need a car to get to many of them. A bit less yoga and development than Nosara. There's a cool Euro expat community to the south (Ojochal) that had some killer restaurants when I was there a few years back. As others have mentioned Ticowannabe lives there and can probably chime in with much better intel.

I've stayed in and dug both areas. Would choose Nosara for convenience / family interest, Dominical if left to my own devices.

Ticowannabe likes this.
  9. Fishy

Fishy Active Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Santa Teresa

Dawnpatrol likes this.
  10. Dawnpatrol

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Been trying to dial up Tico for ya Jory but his line is busy! Probably too busy putting in his lap pool on the bluff overlooking Dominical! Hey John, pick up your phone! Yea Santa Teresa is great. But, I hope you can hook up with Ticowannabe. He's surfed a wee bit more of the southern coast than I. CR has so many great waves for the sojourner. But with a family you are restricted. Not a bad thing. Santa Teresa would be my go to spot. Stayed on the beach with a friend. I called it the Pipeline House. Front view of the break sucking down vodka and fresh squeezed orange juice after an early morning session. Man, great memories! After all that booze, I'm grateful I still have a memory!

JMJackFish likes this.