a build for my neighbor

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Surfnfish, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    my surfing next door neighbor has been frustrated of late by the onshore wind cycle currently keeping us drydocked, so suggested he grab some fins and give bodysurfing the current chunky conditions a go.

He came by a few days later to say thanks for the idea, was having a ball and getting a great workout doing just that, so suggested why not up his game. A former oak cabinet door and a couple of shop hours later we had the latest add to his quiver...says with it much easier to get slotted and cover distance.

16 x 8 x 1 with high to low rails, moderate rocker, entry belly fade into slot concave, not sure what the volume is... lol

2018070895115942.jpg

2. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    What....no spiral V?

Surfnfish likes this.
  3. Gill

Gill Active Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Spring Lake Heights, NJ
    Wow sweet! You inspired me!!! It's going on my project list!

Do you have any suggestions for a first time build? Any more pics??

Surfnfish likes this.
  4. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012

Attached Files:

Dawnpatrol and hankster like this.
  5. Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
  6. Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
    just wing it..lol..so many ways to build a handboard..some favor small ones, others long ones..go online will find a lotta ideas..my son uses one from Danny Hess his wife gave him for Xmas...

for a template, I cut a square of cardboard to length, nailed the top center to the workbench, then nails on each side 2" off center, then 6", then 8", then 6", etc...then used a flexible hacksaw blade as a batten, bent it around the nails and traced the curve...pretty much how longboard outlines were laid down at one time, and how we drew curves on the first generation of short boards made from stripped down longboards, as functional short board templates were yet to be defined..

once happy with the template, trace it out on a 3/4" to 1" piece of wood or plywood and jigsaw it out.
    Then on to the table sander if you have one, belt sander or orbital if you don't.

For rails, sand edges to upturned in front transitioning to down at center to tail, with a mini bevel tucking the rail into the bottom, and a fuller bevel into the deck. When sanding the front upturned rails, continue the bottom tuck beveling to create some entry belly, which will fade to flat as the rails become more down turned as they move towards the tail.

The half moon template in the back is designed to lock into the forearm, so the deck edges around it are angle beveled into the deck so the forearm locks into it better.

On the bottom, where the entry belly flattens out, used a drum sander attachment on the drill to install a slot concave the width of the outer edges of the rear half moon...so belly to flat to concave out the back. Doubt it makes a whole lot of difference whether flat or concave, but grin is grins, right..

one precaution...if you have any arm or shoulder issues, don't use one of these, puts a lot of leverage strain on same..why I stopped using them with age...otherwise, was my go to for decades when the surf was junk, lot less boring then churning out laps in the pool...

so just go for it...make one, try it, figure out how to make it better and do it again...and show us when you do!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Gill likes this.
  7. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    When the surf gods deliver lemons, ya make lemonade! Great stuff Lance and John! Yep the PNW has not been too kind to us lately surf wise although there has been a few hits on the Straits. For me...……………..I go fishing!

8. Gill

Gill Active Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Spring Lake Heights, NJ
    Cool! Thanks for taking the time to share all the info, it's really helpful! I'm going to work on one but may be a while till I complete since I have a lot of things that need completed around the house first lol

I'm thinking I may just make a quick prototype to try the whole concept during the summer... cause I know I probably will not be so into it with a wetsuit lol. Then make a nicer one over winter.

I have never tried it for body surfing, but always wanted to try after hearing some positive things

Any quick feed back on fins? I had a generic pair of churchhills but they have since fallen apart. Not looking on spending a lot and was thinking something smaller?

9. Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
    Swim Outlet my go to swim gear inc. fins...I'd recommend a cheap pair of lap shorties with soft flex