8' boards

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by cuda, May 23, 2013.

1. halibutrick

halibutrick New Member

Jan 5, 2015
    USA California
    Bottom

Attached files
    [​IMG]

2. Makawaosurfer93

Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    ^^^^^^ That I like. ^^^^^^^

3. Big D

Big D Active Member

Nov 4, 2009
  4. Big D

Big D Active Member

Nov 4, 2009
    halibutrick wrote:
    Is that real grass or the synthetic? It's cut so tight! Almost perfect. Really jealous. My backyard is dirt n' grass. I'm embarrassed to post a pic of a board in fear my yard will be mocked...

5. Ck1206

Ck1206 New Member

Jan 14, 2014
    I don't have it anymore unfortunately but my Stoker Vee machine 8'er was the best board I've ever had not including my gliders. Paired with the FCS curved G-CRV fins it was like riding on ball bearings. No slide at all, just short arcs, long arcs any arcs as long as the thing was on a rail it would keep its speed through anything. Fantastic, I'll need another one in my life soon! I'll see if I have a photo somewhere...bear in mind I'm 6'4 and 250, most people would probably benefit more form a shorter one as there's lots of volume, so rather than being designed as an 8'er like the serenas etc mine just happened to be that length due to my size, So I guess different than a board made to be a midlength

6. jdo2

jdo2 Member

Sep 12, 2008
    I wonder if anyone here has owned a Hilbers 'Liddle designs' PR and could tell me about their experience. Paul Gross was responsible for the original in around '94 according to KP and Paul says that they are good in the 8'4-8'10 range for someone my size (175 pounds and 175 cm tall) in surf up to 5'. This one has caught my eye!

https://instagram.com/p/7IgMuxtool/

https://instagram.com/kirkputnam/

Thanks, Juan

7. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Jaun, this not exactly the same but very similar with regard to outline. Brian says this shape surfs better off the tail. I have not ridden the PR but I can vouch for how amazingly well this board works. given your experience with hulls and Marc's shapes I think you might really like it.
    http://jamboards.com/view_topic.php?id=17276&forum_id=1&highlight=hilbers+love

8. jdo2

jdo2 Member

Sep 12, 2008
    The board that PG made for KP in '94 was really an original outline that he drew up and they called it the 'PR model'.
    "We called it that because it had three stringers close together like the boards the Australians rode in Puerto Rico in the '68 World contest. The boards they rode had the wide point further forward and pulled in tails."
    Image of Nat Young on one of those boards here...
    Paul moved the wide point back and added some hip so that the board would be friendlier in smaller, weaker waves. He says: "As I mentioned earlier, I would go with something around 8'8'' long...very easy to ride, but it still has a shortboard feel."

Attached files
    [​IMG]

9. jdo2

jdo2 Member

Sep 12, 2008
    I saw that board of yours 10 days ago when you posted it. I admire Brian's work it's a beautiful board, I would love that, Congratulations! Thanks Cuda.

10. jdo2

jdo2 Member

Sep 12, 2008
    A clean carving blade

Attached files
    [​IMG]