4th Gear flyer love....

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by high pockets, May 10, 2017.

1. high pockets

high pockets Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Ireland
    What can I say that already hasnt been said?
    PG is a genius and EVERYBODY should ride a surf mat? The world would be a better place if we all rode mats :)
    We took a chance of a 1.5ft swell at 8 seconds over the weekend.... and had the time of our lives :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you have even given getting a surf mat the slightest thought, GO! DO IT NOW!!!
    Last night, I went and surfed my local, at high tide on a two ft swell. It felt wrong even driving down there on such a forecast but I spent and hour and a half pulling into sandy shore dumpy close outs laughing myself senseless.

matsurfer, pefa, sightpoint and 4 others like this.
  2. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    Got a 4th gear standard (used) about a month ago and been eagerly anticipating trying it out (fins don't fit with my 7mm booties) and this has re-kindled the fire! I don't think I have the proper fins (or a proper kick conditioning yet), but I'm psyched to give it a go. I do find it hard to swap out a surfboard if conditions look at least somewhat surfable, but I think I'll get over that eventually.

3. RePete

RePete New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Carlsbad, CA
    Two weeks ago I got a tracker to replace one that was ganked off the beach with my fins a couple of years back. I plan to take her to Ireland with me next week so I can jump in if I see waves. I've been riding it hard the past few days, taking advantage of the high tide shorebreak nearby. Super fun, but I find I need the waves to have some juice (months of inactivity doesn't help). Do you take off with the mat that far out in front of you? I ride mine at about 40-60% inflation, and have just been squeezing it to plane into waves, and releasing on the drop. Am I missing something?

4. Stringer

Stringer Active Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Rhode Island
    pefa likes this.
  5. RePete

RePete New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Carlsbad, CA
    this is the position I shoot for, but I was wondering if extending it forward would goose my wave count on slow days. Not sure how to mount up once on the wave, tho

6. Stringer

Stringer Active Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Rhode Island
    In slower surf I sit a little further in and as the wave lifts me I grab the corners of the nose and push down while kicking in. Once I'm moving I straighten out, dip a fin and move along. Some people refer to this as creating reverse rocker.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    RePete likes this.
  7. matsurfer

matsurfer Active Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 4.46.53 PM.png
    I rest my case. I get all of my mats from Paul. They're perfection.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    deemce, pefa and RePete like this.
  8. RePete

RePete New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Carlsbad, CA
    One more thing to try! Mat's are awesome. Do you inflate the mat more in slower waves?

9. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Yes, I find it a little easier to get into soft waves with more air, but inflation level is still soft, more than 90 degree bend always. If you're close to O-side come up and let's mat.

matsurfer likes this.
  10. RePete

RePete New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Carlsbad, CA
    I am, and will do. I'll be back from Ireland mid august.