2+1's

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by fishy82, Apr 21, 2016.

1. pilau

pilau Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    USA Hawaii
    Bonzers have a devout following. For me, as a front footed narrow stancer, most Bonzers do no work as well as a quad setup. I have tried every iteration except for the Russ Short. I'm sure I'll sample one eventually. The one exception is the Mini Bonzer Light Vehicle. MBLV. With a three fin bonzer setup. Ride it as short as you are comfortable with. Unreal levitation device. Dreamy on your backhand. For me it really sets itself apart from fish when surfed backside.

2+1 vs quad. That's horses for courses. I go quad 90% of the time. But for the best days with a bit of size and shape, I do have a 2+1 that gets the call. The single with sidebites has a different pivot than a quad. I do t really go for quads on narrower tails. If I want to sink the tail on turns and stalls, I still like to have the single fin in the middle in back. Sidebites optional.

2. pilau

pilau Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    USA Hawaii
  3. frozen-bolt

frozen-bolt Member

Sep 25, 2007
    First off, let me say, "I'm a board whore." If you have a shape, style or fin arrangement you're willing to let me try, I'm willing to ride it to see if it's something I like. Some, I have and gone on to purchase; others, I have not. I have a few different styles of boards and will let anyone try any of them, also. I've tried and own singles, twins, quads, 2+1's and even thrusters (The Horror!) and ended up with a board or two of all the styles in differing lengths.

I like the golf analogy, as it's the way I often approach the choice of board for that day. It's good to have multiple choices for multiple conditions. Although, some days, it just pays to go with the favorites.

That said, in keeping with this thread, I like my 9'1" Rockin Fig 2+1 HPLB just the way it is. I've tried it with a single setup and it just doesn't surf like the board I had in mind when I bought it. It's got a 7" center fin that came stock with the board as did the sidebites. I was purchasing it in Huntington Beach at the same time Grubby Clark was faxing out his "going out of business' info to the world. I'm glad I bought this one and it's still part of my quiver, even though others have come and gone. If, somehow, it was gone from the quiver, I'd go buy another one, tomorrow (well, whenever I'd make it out to the Coast). :).

[​IMG]

Transitioning up from short boards to long boards as I've gotten older, I've found this style and fin setup helps me use the techniques and feelings of riding a shorter board in steeper waves, but also lets me enjoy the benefits of a longboard when things mellow out. I've used this board on both the Ocean and the Lakes and it's performed solidly on both, busting that theory that you need a thicker board in fresh water.

(Disclaimer: The views and opinions stated here are those of the author based on the way I surf. YMMV.) :)

4. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    that's a good looking board for it's type...i have never taken rockin fig seriously because of his persona on KROQ radio in the 80's...but that looks good
    i too transitioned from short boards so i understand the feel

5. Emil

Emil New Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Man, I was just gonna order a Mitsven 2+1 egg...

6. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    If its 7'ish, and you smurf kinda mushy waves a bunch, and you dont already have a quad... get one. If you call bob, have him shoot a pic of "mike's 6'8" and have him send it to you, see if it blows your skirt up.

7. Emil

Emil New Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Yeah,
    Mine's gonna be a bigger one...8' plus...summer board. I keep going back and forth between Piglets/Double enda/etc...figured I'd just get what I know...an egg.

8. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    mini magic ham would be fun, mango swears by his double enda also. I like wide tails.

9. fishy82

fishy82 New Member

Jun 2, 2013
    so.... what are your favorite fins for 2+1 mids? say 6'4"-7' and 7'-7'10" i picked up a set of the speed wings and am looking to complement them with a nice center fin. board will be a 6'4 x 23ish. modern rails and bottom.
    ----maybe the mysto cutaway in 6.5"???

10. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    Imma basic bitch for fins, no cuts, no flex, no fingers.