2+1's

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by fishy82, Apr 21, 2016.

1. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
  2. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Quads work great for front footed surfers, just need to spread the fin cluster further forward a bit which increases the 'sweet spot' for front foot turning and driving (which also shortens the effective rail line, loosening up the board even more), preferably with the rears a bit closer to the stringer ala Rusty's set-up.
    Single to double concave with progressive rocker work really well with this set-up, and why not go 5 fin, with plenty of fin combos to match the waves.

3. Basenji703

Basenji703 Active Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Here is a set used, not by me, on a 9' Firewire TJ Pro. The center fin was designed by Dr. Frank Latanzio and made from an old '60s keg. It is really stiff. The guy who rides it rides it very well and loves the setup. It works really well here in Virginia Beach...

Attached files
    [​IMG]

4. MDM

MDM Active Member

Dec 12, 2011
    USA New Hampshire
    This is a good thread

5. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    i had a vtail firewire 4+1 9'er that was an amazing board in bigger surf surfed as a quad. the flex/release coming out of turns was excellent and it was much faster than most boards, the old crew at sano point and church would always comment on big days. even some of the kids at la jolla shores would be surprised at drops and sections it would make
    had 2 ...broke one in dominical thick slab beach break and one died of old age i guess here. but that board surfed big reefs in a lot of places

6. Speak

Speak Member

Jul 17, 2012
    USA California
    This 2+1 thread has convinced me to get a quad :D

7. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    ^ exaaaaaaactly

8. Ticowannabe

Apr 25, 2012
    Speak wrote:
    set it up as a 5 fin and have both options...that's what i do, but they often stay a quad
    these are boards made for "better" waves...i go single fin on the smaller stuff and sometimes to head high

9. Ticowannabe

Apr 25, 2012
    SeniorGrom wrote:
    bonzers are also fantastic, i have them in several 7'10 down to 6'10 boards. to me they have the tight trucks feel smukes talks about and are great in scary surf. i know some guys have the 9' or so versions on here and like them a lot

10. fishy82

fishy82 New Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Speak wrote:
    And convinced me to stay quad 😃... I know they work for me.. Might toss an extra box in the next one. Not sure yet