¡Breakout the blue cigars! New J. Phillips Wildcat

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by icecreamheadache, Dec 20, 2016.

1. NoseRideTheWhip

NoseRideTheWhip Active Member

Jul 29, 2014
    Sandstone Retreat, CA
    I like this choice. Shows chutzpah. You could chalk it up to a tinder complex, guy just wants to ride them all. But I see it more as an indication of ich having zero loss aversion and not settling fur less. Certainly shouldn't be considered a slight to JP; we're all fanboys (and gurls) here.

2. japsom

japsom Active Member

Jan 8, 2016
    USA California
    Man i wanted that. That bish on fleek or so its been said.

3. shapewright

shapewright Active Member

Aug 6, 2006
    USA California
    I have had boards over the years that I did NOT like, they just refused to be ridden the way I wanted to ride them, but I didn't bail on them because of it.
    I kept at it, eating crap on nearly every wave, then one day it all changed, it was like the board(s) had been testing me to see if I was man enough to conquer the beast, sure enough, for nearly all they became some of my all time favorites, a very few, I still didn't like them because I had gone so far out of the box to the unrideable zone

4. FirstPointEric

FirstPointEric Well-Known Member

ICH wrote: "the second of three sadnesses this week". Jeebus, I hate to ask what the third was.

Sorry you got the itch to sell--after your initial review, I was shocked as f*ck to see it on the CL
    auction block--but I hope you either got the full asking or were able to procure that Wild Card
    you're on the prowl for. I do hope the one you sold stayed in the JB family.

5. icecreamheadache

icecreamheadache Active Member

Jan 14, 2006
    The most gorgeous board ever is now owned by a super nice dad named Gabe who may be on jamboards. Or may not. If I had more space (I live in a 700 square foot Simpson Oil Company roughneck casita that I share with a rad Millenial ripper and her Great Dane), more money and rode longboards in wider conditions (Having grown up skateboarding, I only ride logs when it's too small to ride fish/hulls which I only ride when it's too small for 6'1"/6'4" refined shortboards which I only ride when it's too small for 6'10" pintails which i only ride when it's too small to get the pointy deathwish guns out of their cases), I woulda kept it for sure. But my joy in longboarding is noseriding and playing with what is possible on the front 7/8 of the wide and fats on thigh high point waves and without a board in my quiver that does that, things didn't feel right. So the most gorgeous board I have ever owned (even prettier than Fishy's Van Velzer which was heretofore the prettiest board ever) went to Valhalla so that I might have another ugly wide board with an atrocious resin tint that would carress my delicate male ego on the nose in 1' shitslop point waves when even Tweaker Mike and his Firewires are too demoralized to paddle.

6. FirstPointEric

FirstPointEric Well-Known Member

image.jpeg

Again, I wish you good luck finding the above:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  7. pilau

pilau Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    USA Hawaii
    (Having grown up skateboarding, I only ride logs when it's too small to ride fish/hulls which I only ride when it's too small for 6'1"/6'4" refined shortboards which I only ride when it's too small for 6'10" pintails which i only ride when it's too small to get the pointy deathwish guns out of their cases)...

THIS. 1000 times THIS. I hope to surf the warm waters of Oahu with you some day. Don't bother flying with boards, I got you covered.

I applaud your fearlessness. I have severe separation anxiety with regard to surfboards.

8. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    This used to be my normal experience. My Device, my Blackboards, and my SuperNova especially. You feel great once you finally get a ride that feels natural on a board that has been refusing you for so long.

I gotta say though, a board you connect with right out of the gate is a glorious experience. Way preferable to having blown sessions on ego.

My pintail Malibu foil, my Bing feral pig and my Pieter 50's pig were all super intuitive immediately.

9. dingdong

dingdong Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    bummer about that wayne rich board ICH, you ripped on that thing!